Wednesday 28 March 2012

WIP Wednesday - bee blocks and fabric fondling

I've managed to get a bit done this week, mostly working on finishing off the second commissioned quilt (which is basted and ready to quilt tonight hopefully!) but also making my bee blocks for the 4x5 bee. 


Yes I made some snail trail blocks for my hive - they worked really well (and came out at 12 1/2" which was awesome!) I actually pressed my seams open for these - and they look much crisper than normal. The blocks people have made in my hive are amazing, I am so honoured and excited that I'll be lucky enough to recieve them! Most of them I wouldn't have any hope of making myself ;o)

There has been quite a lot of bundle building going on too. I'm really stumped with what I want to use for the Retro Flowers QAL. I put together this set of fabrics today:


I'm still not entirely certain where I'm going to go fabric-wise. I might end up dropping the grey/black prints in favour of some more colour, but I do like these together... I think there's a good mix of value in there and I love teal/purple/orange/mustard together (a little bit retro?) but I'm really dithering on it. 

Anyway WIP stats for this week are:

New Projects: 2 
* Retro flowers QAL - at fabric selection stage
* Baby quilt - started fussy cutting my Meet the Gang

Finished: 1 (bee blocks)

In progress: 5
* Swoon - completed 5/9 blocks (no progress)
* Commissioned quilts - first quilt top done except binding, second one basted and ready for quilting.

* Stained QAL - no progress
* 4x5 Bee blocks done
 
Long term WIPs: 3
* Outfoxed on the High Seas
* Fandango
* Pop garden
plus a few other abandoned projects that may never see the light of day again ;) 

16 comments:

Di said...

The retro daisy fabric is a must! Di xo

Kristy QP said...

The snail trail blocks are looking great! I've just started experimenting with pressing seams open - fiddly but it does give a nice look.

Love the fabrics you've picked out for the QAL. They look great together!

tartankiwi said...

Love the fabric combinations that you came up with for the snail trails, especially the lime green one.

Molly said...

ohh those blocks are so cool- great work!- I saw you agreed with my comment on Angela's blog- you are right great minds do think alike- I have a new video tutorial on my blog (see the comments for the link) on a new FMQ design I came up with, would love to know what you think!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Isn't laying with fabric fun! Love your selection!
BTW my book is here but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Oops, laying with fabric LOL PLAYING is what I meant!

Kelly said...

Love those blocks and I would leave your fabric bundle exactly as it is. Gorgeous!

mumasu said...

Oh, Oh, these are Eleanor Burns block party blocks this month. I just watched it yesterday and knew I'd seen them somewhere else.

Teresa F. said...

Your bee blocks are wonderful and your fabric stash is great, your Retro flowers will be awesome.

Deborah said...

Love your Bee blocks. And I love your choice of fabric for your Retro Flowers. I'm still thinking on that one!

Jessica Kelly said...

Great bee blocks, and I'm drooling over the fabrics you have pulled for your retro flowers!

Cherie said...

Cool bee blocks! Love the fabric!! =D

Katy Cameron said...

Love your bee blocks, and I'm also pondering my retro flowers fabric selection...

~Carla~ said...

The blocks are just gorgeous!! Love the colour combos!!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I love your snail trail blocks :)

roccagal said...

I just luv your work!!! I am such a fan! I first saw your Swwon blocks on the Swoon flikr group and started to read your blog and now I am happy to discover that you are in my hive for the Stash Bee!!
I have chosen to do the Snail Trail block which I have wanted to make forever and your FABULOUS tutorial convinced me to go for it!!!I am going to use your tutorial as a link when it is my turn in June 2013( along way off)if that would be ok with you!
Sandra Rocca